Widely agreed among the three iFanboy founders as the worst of all modern comic book movies, Punisher: War Zone was a disaster. Yet, it should be said that Ray Stevenson's portrayal of Frank Castle wasn't really the problem, as much as a horrid script and some of the worst direction we've ever seen.
Ray would like it know that he would be on board if they ever decide to do another movie. He said "I would be honoured and blessed if it ever came my way again. Definitely."
The Punisher is of the rare thrice rebooted franchise breed, where Dolph Lundgren and Thomas Jane (!) have tread before. But with a production budget of about $35 million, and a total gross of about $10 million worldwide, they're probably going to find a fourth Punisher for that to ever happen. At least Tom Jane's version broke even. Still, that doesn't stop the collective wisdom of 194 reviewers at Amazon from rating the film at 4 out of 5 stars, citing such reasons as:
- If this is too gory, then you simply shouldn't watch it
- If you're an action fan who has been craving for a non stop and over the top intense action movie, say no more and watch this movie!
- Don't get me wrong, the new Friday the 13th Remake was fun but it can't hold a candle to the carnage that takes place in Punisher: War Zone!
- If you like great violent comicbook movies then this is the movie for you.
- After a couple of failed attempts at making a great Punisher film, Punisher War Zone gives us what fans were looking for. It's in your face and gritty and our ruthless hero takes no prisoners.
And so on.
But it's not all bad news. For example, the film resulted in one of the most fun special edition podcasts we've ever recorded, in which I apologized to all other terrible moves to come before.