This week DC Comics truly surprised me with Young Romance: The New 52 Valentine’s Day Special, an anthology of superhero romance shorts. Romance was once a staple genre for the industry but it’s sadly fallen to the wayside. So it’s refreshing when, every so often, we step back from the cosmic fisticuffs and temporal displacement for a little smooching. DC celebrates such moments in this collection, featuring the likes of Aquaman and Mera, Apollo and Midnighter, and of course the new New 52 it-couple Superman and Wonder Woman.
The real surprise, of course, is the insert. The issue includes 18 little elementary school style Valentine cards to share with friends, lovers and strangers on the street.
For example, the Shazam card reads: “Say the magic word and I’m yours.”
Batman’s Valentine reads: “Tonight is for ‘just us’.”
It’s a cute idea, so I’ve naturally decided to steal it.
I’m challenging you to design a comic-inspired Valentine in this style.
- Think up a Valentine’s message from a single character. It need not be a DC superhero or even a superhero at all, just a character from one of your favorite comics.
- Draw a pinup and include a punny one-liner.
- Create it digitally or do it by hand and scan it in.
- Do NOT use existing art. No borrowing images from Jim Lee or anyone else. Got it?
- Send a .jpg file to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “XOXO Valentine Contest” by Monday (February 11th 2013) at Noon EST. Do NOT send me giant TIF files. Submit up to three cards.
- If I receive enough entries, I’ll choose winners for best one-liner and best art/design, so if you have to use stick figures, you can still win! You can also enter as a team of two (writer and artist).
- I’ll showcase the best Valentine’s next week just in time for Valentine’s Day. Grand prize winners will get a box of comics. Good stuff, I promise.
- Unfortunately, the contest is limited to those in the US. International shipping costs be crazy. You need not be an iFanboy member.
Questions? Ask ‘em below.