Word Balloon Podcast – Mark Millar On CLiNT Magazine’s Debut

On this edition of the show, we get a brief conversation with writer Mark Millar, who's on a whirlwind tour promoting the UK release of the KICK ASS DVD.

We discuss the debut of CLiNT magazine this Thursday. A 100 page anthology of comics articles and comedy from UK stars like Jonathon Ross and Frankie Boyle, Mark compares his new venture to its UK preedecessors from The Eagle and 2000AD on the comics side, to the lad magazines of today like FHM and Maxim. We discuss the magazine's content, format, and the very bold notion of starting a new paper magazine while others are going out of business every month.

CLiNT will feature the UK debuts of the new comic Kick Ass 2 and Nemesis, which will still be comming out in North America through Marvel's Icon imprint. Mark explains how the two methods of distribution will work. He also teases at some future project plans on paper and in film. 

 

Subscribe to Word Balloon:
RSS

iTunes

Direct Download

Visit WordBalloon.com>

Comments

  1. I hope this’ll do well – it’s good to see a new outlet for British comics.

  2. And a new outlet for my biography.  😉

  3. Wait, is KickAss Mark Millar? If so, awesome.

  4. When does CLiNT #1 come out in the US?

  5. @Suicidalkangarooz

    I think you just found Millar’s new premise. 

  6. Very cool. Still waiting for more American Jesus!! The stuff Millar is putting out now is fun but more or less mindless, really want more "good" Millar.

  7. Haven’t listened yet, but the cover right away makes me think: Is Millar trying to create celebrity status for comics creators, and thereby himself, with this? If it works out, hey, more power to him, but it does kind of bother me that a comic magazine has precisely 2 illustrations on the cover taking up roughly 5% of the area, and 5 photos taking up the other 95%. Yeah, comics, woohoo. I don’t see this mag lasting too long. It’s more likely going to end up like Maxim and not 2000 AD.

  8. He’s not going to sell a single copy if there’s a big illustration of some comic character on the cover.  Celebrity has the status to get people to pick it up.  Comics don’t.  Sucks, but it’s true.

  9. I can’t wait to get my hands on Millar’s CLiNT.