RED ROBIN #14
What did the
Art and cover by MARCUS TO & RAY MCCARTHY
Size: 32 pages
Cliche review time:
I bought this book without having bought any of the previous issues. I am not a Batman fan, but I was a Nightwing fan-having all of the Nightwing issues from Dixon to Tomasi so when I saw this cover with Damian Robin fighting Tim Red Robin I said SIGN ME UP.
So without backstory of the previous 13 issues I was able to work a few things out.
1) Tim Drake is now Tim Wayne (OoooK)
2) Tim is now Red Robin, the old Jason Todd Character from Countdown. I think this uniform suits him juuust fine.
3) Damian and Tim Wayne (really Tim’s a Wayne now?) don’t get along.
4) The Fox girls are Lucious’ Daughters. And one is in a relationship with Tim (OK when did he become a Wayne?) Wayne
Things I didn’t get:
1) Tim’s engaged? How old is he? I kind of thought Tim Wayne (come on really?- I remember he had a Dad right? Drake died in Identity Crisis- came back in Blackest Night) was 16.
Fabian Niceza createda story that allowed me to ask questions of the story, get answers to some but more importantly want to find out about back story and also not sweat the small stuff (except for the Wayne thing- but that’s not a big deal).
The standout however is Marcus To, his art is fantastic and he deserves the acclaim for this issue.
To me, this feels like the next issue of Nightwing and I guess it had the desired effect as I immediately bought and have read the first trade. This book is now on my standing order and a welcome addition to my pull list.
Art: 4 - Very Good