Pick of the Week Podcast
The conclusion to the film trilogy that begat the serious superhero film renaissance is finally upon us!
Despite some serious trepidations about the director, Team iFanboy is all over this film. The New York Office will be taking the film in Friday night at 8:45pm. The Los Angeles Office will screen the picture at 8:10pm PST.
Are you going to see it? Of course you are! This is one of the most anticipated geek films of the year – let's talk about it!
And when you go see it, don't forget to hang around after the credits!
UPDATE The release of the third installment of the X-Men movies brings you a special edition of the iFanboy podcast, dedicated completely to the new movie.
Download Directly: ifanboy_podcast31A.mp3 – 25 MB (Right-click and choose "Save As…" and save locally on your computer) or you can get it through iTunes, ODEO or any of the other podcast programs listed at the top of the page.
Running Time: 36:26
Clickthrough to see what Ron thought of the movie… Just fair warning – this thread can and will contain SPOILERS so if you haven't seen the film yet and want to go in fresh, avoid clicking through until after you've seen it.
Ron's thoughts: No one wanted this movie to be good more than I did. I gave Ratner the benefit of the doubt and held judgement until I saw the movie in its entirety. Unfortunately, just about every one of my worst thoughts or worries about this movie came true. It felt rushed, cheap and lacked the vision of the comics that the previous 2 movies had. I don't necessarily blame Ratner directly, as there had to been more people involved who should be focused on the quality of the movie (I'm looking directly at you Mr. Arad.), but the entire production as a whole should feel horrible because they went up to the plate and not only struck out, they fell down while swinging at ball 4.
Admittedly there were moments of the movie that I enjoyed:
- The Beast was way better than I thought he would be.
- Kitty Pryde finally delivered, after fleeting moments in the previous movies. She's as important to the X-Men as Wolverine or Cyclops, if you ask me, and they got her right.
- There were some vague characters that were done well (Arclight, sorta) and other little embedded references like having Trask working for the president etc.
- Obviously I loved Madrox, he was perfect.
And there were things about the movie that I hated:
- The way Cyclops was handled was embarrassing, especially for one of the core characters.
- I'm sorry if you like the flash movie on YouTube, but having the Juggernaut say, "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch" was unnecessary
- I thorough dislike the cyberpunk/post apocolyptic look of the majority of mutants in this movie. That's just an obvious and tired cliche'
- By mixing the Dark Phoenix story and Whedon's "cure" story from Astonishing was a mistake. You could have easily gotten two good movies from both those stories, as opposed to one story that lacked the depth that made the first 2 movies quality
- Such a shame to see Angel wasted. Could they have given him more than 3 or 4 lines and actually have his involvement in the story matter?
- They cannot deny it, they skimped on the special effects
- As much as I love that they gave us a fastball special, they blew it, it just looked awkward and ridiculous. Just because you have it in the movie, doesn't make it a good thing.
So the summer starts off on a bad note. I really, really wanted, maybe even needed, this movie to be good. But unfortunately, it wasn't, which makes me sad. But at the end of the day, it's just a movie. I still have the comics and the past 2 movies. So as long as you can keep that perspective, then it's fine. Onto Superman Returns!
(Right-click and choose "Save As..." and save locally)
Doing the podcast is fun and all, but let's be honest, listening to the 3 of us talk to each other can get repetitive, so we look to you, the iFanboy listeners to participate in the podcast! "How can I get in on the fun?" you may ask yourself, well here's how:
- E-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments or anything that may be on your mind.
Please don't forget to leave your name and where you're writing from and each week, we'll pick the best e-mails to include on the podcast!