Venom ONGOING by Rick Remender and Tony Moore

Venom as a black ops spy. For the US Government.

That's the new take on the black, symbiote opposite of Spider-Man. We don't know who he is, or what the deal is, but you will soon, because Rick Remender and Tony Moore are writing and drawing this book, and Venom will be an ongoing, kids.  The writer and artist are no strangers to one another, having collaborated on Fear Agent and FrankenCastle in the past have a great working relationship.

Says Remender, "“Venom mixes the high-octane action stuff we do in Fear Agent with stunning monster work from our Punisher run. It’s a perfect middle and we’re both tremendously excited for people to see what we’ve cooked up.”

This new Venom will debut in February in Amazing Spider-Man #654 and Venom #1 will follow in March.  Here are a couple of Moore's designs, and a Joe Quesada cover.

Comments

1. Spiffy Spiffy says:

Almost looks like a Punisher Venom.

2. Paul Montgomery PaulMontgomery (@fuzzytypewriter) says:

Like the design a lot. Smart approach.

3. gobo gobo says:

Can’t wait to get this in trade. Not because I don’t want to support it but because I’m so confident it’s going to be awesome and I’ll want it on my shelf.

4. mrlogical mrlogical says:

I’m excited to see another Remender/Moore book, but Venom would be pretty near the bottom of my list of characters I would choose to see them work on.  And the costume is more than a little ridiculous.  But I like these guys enough to at least give it a shot, I’ll pick up the first few issues and see how it goes.

5. andybmcd andybmcd says:

This is so ridiculous sounding but it an awesomely absurd way.

6. vadamowens vadamowens says:

I wonder if its Mac.

7. Crippler Crippler says:

Wow.  Without knowing the creative team, I would never have touched this.  Instead, I think it’s a must-buy.

8. ctrosejr ctrosejr says:

Calling it now: Venom = Deadpool.

9. Does Venom really need a handgun?

10. blulew23 blulew23 says:

I’m on this. Remender and Moore on something as ludicrous as this can only be a win.

11. daccampo daccampo says:

This could be the team/concept to get me to read a Venom book. I like the Jason Bourne comparison, and the idea that maybe this is a thing that he only wants to let out at certain times. I could see a very interesting story arc about this guy fighting the “addiction” but at the same time needing it to do his job. Could be a very cool take on the character.

12. SirCox SirCox says:

I will definitely buy this. So stoked, and Tony Moore’s sketches looked awesome.

Is it me or like ever 5 years does Venom grown 40%?

13. TheAskanison TheAskanison says:

I’ll definitely give the first issue a shot. After that I will decide whether to tell my LCS to add to my pull list.

14. Grandturk says:

Looks kinda like Black Tarantula.  Or Snake Eyes.  Silly.  I’m in.

15. This looks a lot of fun, definitely picking this up.

16. Webhead Webhead says:

Anything from these creators is an automatic buy.   Cannot wait! Only thing that could be better is if they were on Amazing Spider-Man.  Looking forward to a Remender written, Moore drawn Spidey cameo!

17. CaseyJustice CaseyJustice says:

Yup. I’m in.

18. JesTr JesTr says:

Venom = Foolkiller

19. SirCox SirCox says:

The more I look at these sketches, the more I have a feeling this Venom is going to be Flash Thompson…

20. RoiVampire RoiVampire says:

IN!

21. RedMoses RedMoses says:

The top design is awesome.  The second one is still pretty good, but I don’t like the eyes.  I absolutely HATE the Quesada cover.  If I saw that on the stands, I’d think “Same ol’ venom crap that’ll last 4 books, which would be 4 books too long”.

I don’t want a Quesada cover to a Tony Moore book!

22. The great creative team has me intrigued, but not enough to buy in singles.  Hopefully it does well and is reviewed well and I’ll grab a trade.

23. Looks very promising, especially with the creators involved. I loved the Daniel Way Venom series from the early 2000′s so sign me up.

24. Bendrix Bendrix says:

There are only a hand full of people that could make me buy a Venom title. Remender and Moore being two of ‘em.

25. Zarathos81 Zarathos81 says:

Pass. If he doesn’t look like Venom all the time what’s the point?

26. Conor Kilpatrick conor (@cskilpatrick) says:

@Zarathos81  Entertainment, hopefully.

27. TheAskanison TheAskanison says:

@conor  Zing!

28. PraxJarvin PraxJarvin says:

I’ll give it a shot, but I’ve never been a big Venom fan. Less so if it’s not Eddie Brock.

29. Remender is on point these days, right? It seems as if he could add a 361st degree to the wheel if asked.

30. MisterShaw MisterShaw says:

@SirCox  Oh, good call! I’d buy that for a dollar. Or, sigh, four.

31. cahubble09 cahubble09 says:

Aren’t four ongoing Deadpool books enough?

32. iSpiderMan says:

quesada likes the “taking a dump” pose. he did it with capt america now venom. i think it’s funny.

33. Crucio Crucio says:

I hope it’s a compelling character underneath, with some compelling relationships. That’s really all that matters.

34. Not a bad idea for a concept, definitely a fresher take on the character.

But like most Remender stuff it screams ‘TRADE WAIT’ right away for me. I got burned with Uncanny X-Force and Punisher so I know better at this point.

35. TeleCarlos TeleCarlos says:

From this team, even Little Lulu would be a must buy. Shite. Now I wanna read that!

36. RocketRacoon RocketRacoon says:

I’m in for Remender. Here’s hoping that the book doesn’t get cancelled after issue 6, or 7 like seemingly all new Marvel Books nowadays.

37. NawidA NawidA says:

$2.99 please!

38. neums neums says:

So, basically this is Marvel’s Haunt?

@vadamowens  Nope, they removed Venom from Mac, and he’s going back to being Scorpion.

39. headless headless says:

My first reaction, upon seeing the title: Aww man, they’re gonna try this again?

My reaction upon reading the article: Oh hell yes!

As far as the identity… Frank?

40. mikegraham6 mikegraham6 says:

The best part about this? they finally got rid of the stupid Venom pupils that he’s had for the past 10 years. God those were ugly

41. ActualButt ActualButt says:

I hope this is Shield using the symbiote as a tool. Could be very cool, yet very reminiscent of Haunt.

42. Neb Neb says:

I have totally loved everything Remender’s done at Marvel.  This one is going to be awesome as well, and Tony Moore kicks ass.  I’m definitely down for this book.

43. KickAss KickAss says:

Whoever did that cover art is incredible.

44. ericducos ericducos says:

Even though I have never cared about Venom and Remender is hit & miss with me, I will be getting this.  It’s an intriguing spin that seems to be right in Remender’s wheelhouse and you gotta love Tony Moore artwork.

45. Jason Wood Wood says:

This is 100% up my alley. Awesome collaborative partnership working on a quirky book where they can go wild.

46. Another Marvel title destined for cancellation. Venom has never been popular enough to sustain an ongoing. IT would have to be one hell of a twist to keep it going.

47. Conor Kilpatrick conor (@cskilpatrick) says:

@blackspidey1963  You weren’t around in 1993, were you?

48. deezer deezer says:

Could be interesting… I’m willing to withhold judgement until it actually comes out, though

49. mikeandzod21 mikeandzod21 says:

I saw that the solicit for this was priced at $3.99…so I guess that ‘new books starting at $2.99 was pretty much a line of bullshit, huh?’ well at least it’ll be canceled by next week.

50. Conor Kilpatrick conor (@cskilpatrick) says:

@mikeandzod21  They actually didn’t say that. They are pricing new mini-series at $2.99, not regular series.

51. drakedangerz drakedangerz says:

ZOMG! POUCHES! That’s exactly what Venom needs to be more extreme and in-my-face.

I’m mostly kidding. I don’t give a crap about Venom, but I’ll take a Remender/Moore collaboration any way I can get it.

52. stasisbal stasisbal says:

Hmm, this doesn’t interest me at all in premise and I’ve never cared much about Venom but these guys always merit a look.  Hopefully the regular price is 2.99.  If it’s as good as Uncanny X-Force I might make another exception.

53. Avistann Avistann says:

I’ve always liked venom but his past few series I have read have been mediocre at best. This looks promising and I am totally in.

54. dshramek dshramek says:

Does Frank Castle become the new Venom?

55. bigben2012 says:

Sweet, can’t wait for this.

56. 400yrs 400yrs says:

Is ASM #654 the right number for the debut of the new Venom?  The solicit doesn’t mention the character at all.

I’m in just because Tony Moore art is probably going to be sick on this.

57. ericmci ericmci says:

Since when does the symbiote need body armor and a gun?

Obviously we need to wait and see but the original was kind of terrifying

it’s been screwed with so much a fresh start is def in order.

But maybe not this fresh.

We’ll see.

58. Avistann Avistann says:

@ericmci: It doesn’t need a gun, that’s the carrier’s normal wear when he does not activate Venom.

Someone correct if I am wrong tho…

59. OttoBott OttoBott says:

This is about the only creative team that could get me to pick up a Venom ongoing. I’ll probably pull the first issue.

60. Simon Simon says:

Looks a little like…. MAYHEM!

61. Chris Rohling Anson17 says:

I’m really conflicted. I want to read a Remender/Moore book, but I’m not a fan of venom. The new take is just different enough to work, but I think I’m burned out on the whole Superhero as black ops agent thing. Also swore off buying Marvel #1′s after Thor The Mighty Avenger/S.W.O.R.D./Doctor Voodoo (well you get the picture.) Hurmph. Maybe I’ll wait to hear if it’s any good.

62. tomdpimp tomdpimp says:

I bet its FLASH THOMPSON.

Those legs look robotic.

63. ghettojourno ghettojourno says:

I can’t wait to see the price and page count for the first 2 issues will be.

64. CountAbyss CountAbyss says:

I’m actually quite excited to read this.

65. redlibertyx redlibertyx says:

The smart money is on Flash Thompson. Or that’s what I want to believe. Also that Quesada cover is a mess. I get that Venom is kind of amorphous but that just looks weird. He has stumps for feet? Where do the biceps end and the forearms begin? And is the tongue actually coming from inside the mouth? Cuz it certainly doesn’t look like it (it looks like it’s coming out of his left cheek to me which would be more disturbing than usual. So if that’s what they’re going for I guess they succeeded there).

Assuming it’s Flash Thompson I’d like to see at least one cross over with Punisher. I also kind of wonder how much is symbiote and how much is just the Venom character putting on stuff. Like is the armor the symbiote? Is the gunbelt? Should at least be interesting for the first bit.

66. Avistann Avistann says:

@redlibertyx: The way I see it is that the gun and the uniform is just his normal black ops suit and when he wants to use the symbiote he lets it take form over his suit. Thats at least what I understand…I could be wrong.

67. Jetstorm Jetstorm says:

Sounds Awesome!!

68. Smasher says:

2 parts Spider-Man, 1 parts Punisher, SHIELD with a dash of Hulk and a hint of Deadpool.
    Bake until March and you have Venom #1

69. Chris Rohling Anson17 says:

Am I the only one that’s pretty sure it’ll be John Jameson?

70. Patman2 Patman2 says:

Aw man! More crazy monster stuff! Sign me up!

71. convoy83 convoy83 says:

i feel like making a wild guess here with whom it might be and say Norman Osborn, just cause you know they can do that…

72. GeenL1996 GeenL1996 says:

Venom is the best spiderman guy and i’m deffo in i wonder if comics will ever become 3D cuz this wood be good

73. Zarathos81 Zarathos81 says:

@conor  but f he doesn’t look like Vemon then it’s not Venom entertainment. It’s the Punisher dressed as Black Costume Spider-Man.
    No teeth and tongue…well, it’s just not the same.
    I’m also curious if an ongoing book will work. Back in the 90′s Venom had a series of miniseries which seemend to work fairly well for the type of character he was. I’ll keep an eye on how this series developes but for the time being it just isn’t jumping out and grabbing my attention.
    This is just the first announcement though, always a chance it will change.

@TheAskanison zing?

74. Avistann Avistann says:

@Zarathos81: I tried to explain this to a few people but no one seems to listen to me lol. The suit he is wearing is his human/non-venom garb, his black-ops suit. When he needs to use Venom, he activates the symbiote and looks like the typical venom with the tongue, teeth, and so on. That is what I am getting from the first sketch because you can see him slowly changing into Venom

75. @Zarathos81  It’s a new take on the character visually…no one said that there wouldn’t be Venom’s defining features. In fact, the skeches show that they will be there.

And by the way, the Punish DID wear a version of Spider-Man’s black symbiote costume in the Punisher War Journal series before Remender’s. And it was glorious.

76. Conor Kilpatrick conor (@cskilpatrick) says:

@Zarathos81  You don’t see the teeth and the tongue up there in the sketch?

77. VichusSmith VichusSmith says:

Venom Black Ops Whatnow?

78. all i know is… that’s not mac gargan.

79. Mangaman Mangaman says:

Wow I’m ashamed of you all. No one said it. This isn’t a deadpool approach. This is clearly a Spawn riff. (I guess no one but me reads it anymore =p). But still I’m interested to see where it goes though. Would be cool to have the helmet’s eye holes a little bigger, like how Scarlet Spider’s was, just to give it that symbiotic edgy feeling.

80. harwellpkg harwellpkg says:

So, how many issues will this one last?

81. player1 player1 says:

Three issues and counting! This comic rocks.