The Best of the Week in Panels – 10.19.2011

I once had a panel.
Or should I say, panels once had me.
Panels showed me their room.
Isn’t it good?
Norwegian panels.

Hellblazer #284

By Peter Milligan, Gael Bertrand, Trish Mulvihill, & Sal Cipriano

John’s jacket is evil and it attacked this lady. It is also stinky with black magic. This comic book is joyous.

– Josh Flanagan

Avengers #18

By Brian Michael Bendis, Daniel Acuna,  & Cory Petit

The silent sequence in the middle is wonderful.

– Conor Kilpatrick

Justice League #2

By Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, Scott Williams, Alex Sinclair, & Patrick Brosseau

Jack Kirby, dots and all, once again drives modern comics.

– Josh Flanagan

Wolverine #17

By Jason Aaron, Ron Garney, & Jason Keith

There is nothing not good about this page. I can almost hear the dramatic music sting that should accompany the final panel.

– Conor Kilpatrick

Wonder Woman #2

By Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson, & Jared K. Fletcher

This is some fantastic visual storytelling. Art and colors work together wonderfully here. I also really like the rendition and posture of Strife are really lovely, and Chiang’s new rougher style is really coming together.

– Josh Flanagan

Catwoman #2

By Judd Winick, Guillem March, Tomeu Morey, & Sal Cipriano

Bruce just can’t help himself.

– Conor Kilpatrick

Batman #2

By Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion, FCO, Richard Starkings, & Jimmy Betancourt

This is one of the most dynamic panels of the week due in no small part to the canted angle and horizon line.

– Conor Kilpatrick

Comments

1. wangman31888 wangman31888 says:

oh clint

Also, Mockingbird should be used to it by now, how many people has he slept with since they broke up? 30? 40??

2. kennyg kennyg says:

Bruce Wayne, a Vulcan? I never knew!

3. stevetwo stevetwo says:

Batman #2 panel: No offense to Dick, but damn it’s great to see Bruce wearing the cowl and doing stuff like this again.

4. xBigbyx xBigbyx says:

Batman #2 was full of great art. Almost every panel of the chase sequnece had “panel of the week” written all over it. The other picks are pretty good too, JLA surprised me, Lee still got it, even if its easy to excite me when you have Batman and Superman fight on Splash Pages.

5. Dimebag71 Dimebag71 says:

@Conor Kilpatrick You are correct sir, the Batman #2 panel was amazing!

6. Loser13 Loser13 says:

awesome, great panels. thanks

7. adrianrigter adrianrigter says:

So many amazing panels in Wonder Woman #2, the WW/Aleka fight, the full reveal of Strife at the end. Strife walking through the forest was just chilling:)

8. The Hawkward moment made for a great page but I would have given the nod to the amazing spectacle of Wong vs. Jarvis. Miniseries featuring the odd-couple misadventures of my two favorite man-servants, Yes please!

9. StripeyTees StripeyTees says:

Us panels talked until 2,
    I told panels i didn’t
    and crawled off to sleep in the panels.

Aren’t they so good?
    Norwegian panels.

10. You know what makes that Hawkeye sequence work? The white lines in his final panel.

It would’ve just been a regular panel of people being awkward but somehow those little, white lines added the humor for the entire thing.

No love for the panel in Batman: Odyssey this week for Bruce talking about coffee makers? I can’t believe Neal Adams opened the issue with that…

• gobo gobo says:

Any other artist would’ve been able to do that by drawing facial expressions properly.

• 4iiii says:

Gobo i agree any other artist wouldve been able to do that, but there is a big difference between WOULDVE and DO/HAVE done. Theres plenty of things these artist COULD do that other do, but thats what seperates them all, some have it and some dont, some pull it off and some dont.

• @gobo: If it was Kevin Maguire, he would have easily made it look funny. But the deadpan look in each panel is funny, but those white lines make it funnier. I’m not a huge fan of Acuna but I had no problems with that sequence.

11. Art Art says:

I want a Bat Bike.

12. Jesse1125 Jesse1125 says:

from what I can gather from Catwoman#2, Alfred would be a kick ass wingman

13. iroberts007 iroberts007 says:

Hey just fyi… J Flannigan is right about Hellblazer..
    If you havent checked out Hellblazer lately guys..
    Peter Milligan is probably writing the best John Constantine arc ever…
    Its too bad that hellblazer tpb book 1 is so different from all the other writers story arcs. (in a bad way).. otherwise i think more people would be reading this.

14. Skyfire124 Skyfire124 says:

Love that Batman panel, you can really hear the squeal of the train, the roar of the bike and the shattering of the window….and the only written sound effect is just the guy’s shriek. So amazing!

• Skyfire124 Skyfire124 says:

Ahhh shows what I get for commenting on this panel before I read the story…..ok, so the squeal of the metal from the helicopter…not a train!

15. houseian houseian says:

I don’t really think the presence of Kirby-ish dots justifies a panel of the week. I thought some of the Flash/GL interaction may have been the choice.
    Thanks anyway, some other good ones here.

16. toddjnimrod says:

Hate the new Hawkeye costume. Bring back the purple/blue and mask!