Steve Epting is the New FANTASTIC FOUR Artist

Confirming rumors that we've been hearing for a while, Marvel has announced that the new artist on Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four is former Captain America and The Marvel Project artist Steve Epting.

Steve Epting steps into the role vacated by Dale Eaglesham who has moved over to wotk with Epting's old partner Ed Brubaker on the new Steve Rogers book. Epting will debut in Fantastic Four #583.

I'm going to miss Eaglesham on Fantastic Four. He brought an amazing retro-modern Kirby-esque vibe to the stories. But it's hard to argue with Epting, who is one of the best in the business, and shouldn't need quite as many fill-ins as Eaglesham did.

Comments

1. Mart Mart says:

I really liked Eaglesham on FF too. Epting is good, but … hang on, I’ve not seen a single page by him.

Darn!

I think I’m jumping off now, though – the 3 storyline sounds like it won’t be my cup of cocoa. I want Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny battling cosmic threats and having great human interest moments together. I don’t want FF to be a comic book of ideas, first and foremost.

2. Impossibilly Impossibilly says:

I was really hoping for Epting to return to Captain America.

3. AmirCat AmirCat says:

I like Epting, but I am really going to miss Eaglesham. However, I respect both of them (or Marvel) in trying out new art for the titles.

4. AmirCat AmirCat says:

BTW, the idea of fantastic three is intriguing.

5. mikeandzod21 mikeandzod21 says:

Awesome!

6. drakedangerz drakedangerz says:

Hmm, this makes trade waiting even harder to do.

7. cromulent cromulent says:

EPTIC!

…..

8. JesTr JesTr says:

Awesome, I love Eaglesham but I can’t wait to see what Epting has to bring to the table.  So from the above image I guess they realized Reed was being a dick and kicked him out of there club. Why three, why not fill the spot? I can see it now, start a reality show and have America decide who is the Fantastic Four’s next top member?

9. AmirCat AmirCat says:

@JesTr – Introduce Nemor to FF … make it a little more exciting …

10. odare77 says:

LIking this a lot, especially as the recent fill in art has been lacklustre to say the least.  I wish Eaglesham could have stayed for a while longer to turn it into more of a "run" with Hickman, but hopefully Epting’s on for the long haul, and can give some stability for the duration of Hickman’s run.  Personally I’ve loved what’s been happening, and a like the notion that he wants it to be more of an "ideas" book, it gives it a kind of relevance and urgency that I think a lot of people felt the FF have lacked in the modern marketplace.

11. Josh Flanagan josh (@jaflanagan) says:

Epting is the right call. He did Cap for years, and probably wants to do something different. I hope they color him a little brighter though.

12. Eaglesham moving to Steve Rogers and Epting moving to Fantastic Four. Fair Trade!

13. I like hs style here.

14. Nice! I love the idea.

I’ve been trade waiting for Hickman’s run. BTW, is it just me or can no one find the first volume trade? Not the Dark Reign mini, but the actual first arc. I’ve been to so many bookstores and I just can’t find it.

Anyways, I think Epting is the right move and I might go right into issues with this arc. The storyline and seeing Hickman write Dr. Doom is worth it alone.

15. Nice!  Epting is one of the most dependable artists working.  He never draws a bad page.  I’m bummed to see Eaglesham go, but I’m very glad to see the book remain in good hands.

16. Paul Montgomery PaulMontgomery (@fuzzytypewriter) says:

I prefer Eaglesham, especially on the FF, but this is not a bad trade at all.

17. RoiVampire RoiVampire says:

Don’t be fooled by the image with Reed missing. Newsarama has a similar teaser image but instead Sue is the one that’s missing. Guess they’re trying to keep it under wraps and keep us guessing

18. SummerSleep SummerSleep says:

I never realized how Hitch-y  Epting is, but he completely invokes Hitch’s FF and not just in costume design. I will say he cannot draw Sue’s hair at all. I’m so excited the FF is my favorite book/team/whatever and besides Milar Hitch is my favorite writer on them. I really can’t wait for this to happen.

@RoiVampire this whole three thing is a little ridiculous since we know it’s The Thing who is leaving and going to New Avengers.

19. JesTr JesTr says:

@AmirCat: I was just thinking that. Think how pompous Namor would be leading his rival’s team.

20. Looking at it more, I think I prefer it to Eaglesham’s.

21. mrlogical mrlogical says:

I like Epting and Eaglesham about equally, so this is fine by me, but it seems odd that Eaglesham is leaving. How many issues did Eaglesham actually do?  Like 5?  Maybe my recollection is off, but it feels like Eaglesham did not draw very many issues despite his involvement having been pretty heavily promoted when the Hickman/Eaglesham pairing was first announced.  Weird.  Oh well.

22. Yeah i’m a fan of this

23. RoiVampire RoiVampire says:

@SummerSleep From the interview i read they’re strongly implying that someone is going to die. they used the phrase "one member of the Fantastic Four will have breathed their last." that sounds a lot like someone dying rather than someone pulling double duty as an avenger

24. leonard leonard says:

This is the best book at Marvel. As a reader I really like the soft reboot with new creative juice more than the status quo paradigm shift.

25. hold on.  I’ll wave the Epting flag as proudly and strongly as anyone.  I’m strongly considering jumping on when he starts.  but, "shouldn’t need quite as many fill-ins" needs to be read just as it’s written.  even with help from Lark, Perkins, Guice, and Ross, Cap did not always ship monthly, and Marvels Project was delayed by about 10 weeks all total.  I don’t mean to be negative here, but I just don’t want anybody to get the wrong impression and complain when there is the inevitable delay and/or fill-in artist.

26. Webhead Webhead says:

I really liked Eaglesham on FF, you know, when we actually got an issue from him.

27. @Roi: I’ll bet it means Sue will become queen of that underwater kingdow or whatever it is. She gets like gills or whatever like Namor.

28. cubman987 cubman987 says:

This is fantastic news!

29. RoiVampire RoiVampire says:

@JJ I would be so cool with that. Good call sir. You heard it here first iFanbase

30. SummerSleep SummerSleep says:

@Roi Even if they kill someone, the FF is the ultimate no death book. I remember reading a Waid Wieringo story where Ben Grimm died, and Reed, Sue, Johnny went to Heaven and met God and got Ben back.

31. Howl4Me Howl4Me says:

Yes! Epting is amazing! Great news!

32. adrian adrian says:

Eaglesham was great on Fantastic Four. Shame he’s leaving it.

33. in the ign promo  Johnnys missing

34. OttoBott OttoBott says:

Very pleased to see this. Just reread the 5 issues I have from Hickman’s run so far and can’t help but think they’re something special (even the two issues after Solve Everything). This will be a series to watch on the long run.

35. seNoj1 seNoj1 says:

Eaglesham’s work perfectly fit my expectations of art on the Fantastic Four, Epting is amazing, but I wish he would go back to Captain America, that books needs him ASAP.

36. NathanNicdao NathanNicdao says:

Finally. I was losing sleep thinking of that "prominent" guy.

37. e_limarenko e_limarenko says:

WHY OH WHY cant we get a writer – artist team on a long epic run? Hickman’s story is about to finally take off…..

38. abstractgeek says:

As much as I love epting, i don’t think hes the right artists for this book. I think Eaglsham’s Kirbyness worked incredible well. This is not the time for a realistic artist. This book needs a big bombastic larger than life feel. It will be great art, but not the best art for what Hickman has shown so far.

39. rayclark rayclark says:

i love steve epting but he is not the artist for this. eaglesham worked wonders for this book but im not on board with epting. i do love eptings cap art though

40. MikeFarley says:

"  I’ll wave the Epting flag as proudly and strongly as anyone.  I’m strongly considering jumping on when he starts.  but, "shouldn’t need quite as many fill-ins" needs to be read just as it’s written.  even with help from Lark, Perkins, Guice, and Ross, Cap did not always ship monthly, and Marvels Project was delayed by about 10 weeks all total.  I don’t mean to be negative here, but I just don’t want anybody to get the wrong impression and complain when there is the inevitable delay and/or fill-in artist."

When did Epting get so slow? He used to work at Crossgen! He got his work out on time then. Why can’t he do it now?

That being said, I love Epting’s art. This might be enbough to lure me back to the FF.

41. I think I’ve heard it explained (by Ed Brubaker) as being because he likes to ink himself.  if he did this at Crossgen, then I’m not sure what the excuse is.

42. abstractgeek says:

Strange that Eaglesham goes on to a cap book with Brubaker, instead of Epting. Seems like he would have been a good fit there.