Light Week? New Mutants #34, Speed Racer: Circle of Vengeance #1, and Thunderbolts #165

Take me out tonight. Where there’s comics and there’s people who are young and alive. Driving in your car, I never never want to go home. Because I have too many comics to bring home…

There is a light week that never goes out…try something new?

Ron says try…

New Mutants #34

By Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning and David Lopez & Alvaro Lopez

Not only is it the return of fan favorite Age of Apocalypse castaway, Blink, but it’s the first issue of the first proper story arc for New Mutants, post X-Men: Regenesis. The X-Men books have been hotter than ever, but New Mutants is the book that I think in a few months, everyone will be talking about and you don’t want to be late to the game, do you?

Josh says try…

Speed Racer: Spirit of Vengeance #1

By Tommy Yune, Robby Musso, & Lee Kohse

Speed Racer is back, but you’ll have to do the voices in your own head, and play the music on your headphones, because this is comics. Comics love action and nostalgia. Allegory Media tapped the Speed Racer license, and very possibly a lot of lapsed Speed Racer fans will shuffle into comic shops, or even download the book digitally , as is their choice. You know what else comic book readers seem to like? Chimps. It’s got that too. Racer X will be there too. It’ll be in shops tomorrow, but it’s also available digitally now.

Conor says try…

Thunderbolts #165

By Jeff Parker, Kev Walker, Terry Pallot, Chris Sotomayor, & Joe Caramagna

If you’re like me and you dropped off of Thunderbolts recently then it’s time to come home, my friend. After listening to Josh and Ron rave about Thunderbolts #164 on the Pick of the Week Podcast last month, I picked it up They were right. The tale of the Thunderbolts stranded in the WWII-era Marvel Universe was fantastic and it continues here. Plus! Cover dialog balloon!

Comments

1. Blargo Blargo says:

I’ve been meaning to check out New Mutants because of DnA. What issue does their run start? Or should I just go with #34?

• Radmobile Radmobile says:

#33 is a good jumping on point. It seemed to be a one-off issue that introduces the teams new headquarters and direction in the Regenesis era.

Before that was a Fear Itself arc that I was not terribly impressed by. Before that was DnA’s first arc involving Sugar Man and Nate Gray. #25 was DnA’s first issue FYI.

• Blargo Blargo says:

Thanks. I figured tie-ins factored into it at some point, which is part of the reason I never bothered to check out the previous issues (seriously, at this point, tie-ins hurt series more than help. If I see a banner, I just keep on walking). That, and I have practically zero knowledge of New Mutants.

• Radmobile Radmobile says:

Yeah, it didn’t feel like a meaningful tie-in, and the artist for that story was really doing some weird things with some of the characters.

• AlanRob AlanRob says:

Maybe I’m biased, being a mutant lover and all, but Zeb Well’s ENTIRE run is worth a look. Especially, if your a fan of Magik.

2. player1 player1 says:

Thunderbolts has been consistently worthwhile for about the last 65 issues or so. Welcome back, fickle fair-weather fanboy.

• Conor Kilpatrick Conor Kilpatrick (@cskilpatrick) says:

I’m not sure what that means. I wasn’t enjoying the book during Fear Itself so I stopped reading it. That’s not being fickle. That’s being aware of what I like and what I don’t and reading accordingly.

• KenOchalek KenOchalek says:

@conor: You raise The Point (read what you like and stop reading when you stop liking), and I agree wholeheartedly.

Player1′s comment (whether intended to be taken seriously or not) smacks of that kind of elitism you find in all sorts of fandoms (sports, video games, indie music, etc).

Liking things is not a competitive event. Whatever “scene points” someone earns by discovering something first or sticking with it the longest have next to zero real value.

3. HailScott HailScott says:

Reading this post was a pleasure and a privilege.

4. Jim Mroczkowski Jim Mroczkowski (@jimski) says:

This Blink is the “real,” evil Blink or something, right? I really liked Exiles for all those years, but I think this is actually a different character I know nothing about.

• KenOchalek KenOchalek says:

I’m buying New Mutants this week, so I’m hoping it gets explained too. My only experience with Blink is her brief appearance back in the 90s, and then her role in Age of Apocalypse. I’m not yet clear on which version this is, or how either version is hanging around.

This will be a good test of the “every comics should be a good jumping on point”.

• Radmobile Radmobile says:

It sure looks like the 616 Blink, judging by the hairstyle. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

• That’s what I think as well…the Blink that exists in the “real” universe that was only alive for about 3 issues during that whole thing with the Phalanx Covenant.

• Radmobile Radmobile says:

Well, she got brought back to life during Necrosha a few years ago as a villain. I forget what happened to her at the end of that crossover though.

• AlanRob AlanRob says:

I think its the 616 version as well, which is a shame, since I really didn’t like here in Necrosha.

Give me my Clarice back!

5. diebenny diebenny says:

Outside of the “i don’t have a home” stuff, that’s my girlfriends friggin’ theme song.

“C’mon baby, let’s just stay in tonight. Please? No, I don’t need to talk to Morrissey. Please don’t play the song. Goddammit, get your coat.”

6. Firevine Firevine says:

Well then, it’s time for some Smiths on Spotify. Thanks Ron. If anyone else here uses it, feel free to send me one of the friend requests or whatever they are at the same username.

I actually want to check out all three of these books.

7. wangman31888 wangman31888 says:

slowly starting to pick up all the books i dropped during Fear Itself, glad to see t-bolts come back strong after that crap event