iFlashback! October 15th, 2003

It’s time for iFlashback! A weekly feature in which we take a look at some comics that were on sale nine years ago. Why nine years and not ten? Well because our Mondays in 2012 sync up with the Wednesdays of 2003.

So jog down memory lane with me. The date is October 15th, 2003. The number one film at the box office is Kill Bill vol. 1 and these are some of the comics at your local comic book shop.

Transformers/G.I. Joe #2

Superman Batman #3

By Jeph Loeb, Ed McGuinness, Dexter Vines

Gotham Central #12

By Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Michael Lark

Hulk: Gray #1

By Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale

That was the week that was in comics. Big week for Jeph Loeb and Geoff Johns. Gotham Central was the Pick of the Week as well. So, did you read any of these books? If you did let us know what you thought of them.

Comments

1. kennyg kennyg says:

Man, oh man, do I miss JSA…

2. lifesend lifesend says:

I was reading Street Fighter, Teen Titans, and Superman/Batman. I can’t believe I wasn’t reading Gotham Central. I’m honestly not sure I was ready for it then, though.

3. JMarvin says:

This was the last era my pull box was full – Superman/Batman, JSA, Teen Titans and Gotham Central were all kinds of massive awesome (I dropped Hulk Gray after a couple of issues though). Loeb/McGuinness widescreen action, pre mega-event Johns and Brubaker/Rucka!

4. Great stuff with JSA, Gotham Central & what a great team on Transformers/G.I. JOE who’d a’ thunk it!

5. KillTheG1mp KillTheG1mp says:

Okay… Have yet to read Gotham Central, are they all out in trades? If so, how many are there?

6. Jeff Reid Jeff Reid (@JeffRReid) says:

The Soft Targets storyline in Gotham Central was excellent.

7. har13quin har13quin says:

those New Mutants covers were beautiful. I miss Josh Middleton in comics.

8. misterckent misterckent says:

So strange! I just read the “Soft Targets” storyline on ComiXology. Very good story. Joker was spot on!

9. a.j.howard09 says:

Jesus, is that the Schindler’s List font on the Weapon X book? ” Sinister’s List? Really?

“Soft Targets” is awesome. That JSA cover is gorgeous too.

10. Who did that New Mutants cover?

11. fo sho says:

TF/GIJoe – man I love Jae Lee artwork! Teen Titans and Supes/Bats were also good. And wow…I guess I was still fondly missing Street Fighter games cuz I know I bought that issue too!

12. Kamilo Kamilo says:

So wait, why do we look back at what came out 9 years ago every Monday? Everything about it just seems kinda off (as opposed to looking back at what came out 10 years ago on a Wednesday for instance). Why not look back at what came out 27 years ago on this day every Tuesday, or 33 years ago every Saturday?

• Conor Kilpatrick Conor Kilpatrick (@cskilpatrick) says:

From the very first paragraph of the article:

“Why nine years and not ten? Well because our Mondays in 2012 sync up with the Wednesdays of 2003.”

13. Wait, there was a GI Joe/Transformers crossover with artwork by Jae Lee?!? Where he hell was I that. Missed that???

I was reading Superman/Batman at the time, which i liked despite the artwork (not a Mcguiness fan), and Hulk:Grey, which was excellent.

14. zombox zombox says:

Man, the Hulk book really sucked…

15. Whoa whoa whoa.

Jae Lee did a Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover comic? Why has this never been discussed until now? I would have totally got the back issues at NYCC if I knew about this beforehand.

16. Skruff Skruff says:

Teen Titans back when I looked forward to it every month…. and the Crimson Avenger in JSA was a great, yet tragic storyline!